Library Coach, Literacy Field
Organization: Room to Read
Apply By: 30 Jun 2021
About the Organization:
Founded in 2000 on the belief that World Change Starts with Educated Children®, Room to Read is creating a world free from illiteracy and gender inequality. We are achieving this goal by providing support during the two most critical time periods in a child’s education: primary school for literacy acquisition and secondary school for girls’ education. Our Literacy Program trains and coaches teachers, creates quality books and curricular materials and establishes libraries filled with diverse children’s books in local languages that can be enjoyed at school or home. Our Girls’ Education Program helps girls build skills to succeed in secondary school and make key life decisions by providing life skills curriculum, opportunities for mentorship and peer support, and family and community engagement. Room to Read collaborates with local communities, partner organizations and governments to test and implement innovative models that can be integrated into the education system to deliver positive outcomes for children at scale. To date, Room to Read has reached 18 million children in 37,000 communities across Bangladesh, Cambodia, Grenada, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Laos, Myanmar, Nepal, Rwanda, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam and Zambia, and plans to benefit 40 million children by 2025.
Job Position: Library Coach, Literacy Field
Job Location: Karnataka
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop a thorough understanding of Room to Read’s Literacy program design
- Manage, monitor and support library program intervention across assigned project schools and ensure adherence to the program design.
- Provide support and conduct teachers training.
- Write monthly reports to supervisor on program implementation.
- Provide reflective feedback on program design and implementation (especially with respect to progress towards outcomes) and demonstrate a solution oriented approach
- Undertake school visits every day, except for days when on official travel and leave.
- Support the initial set up of the library, including site verification (if necessary), organizing community meetings, raising requisition and coordinating delivery of furniture, books and stationary
- Collaborates with school to support minor improvements to the library space (e.g. painting)
- Participates in regular teacher and librarian trainings (both center based and school based) related to the Literacy program implementation
- Regularly observes and models good library management practices and systems to designated librarian (i.e. book leveling, reading activities, check out system, etc.)
- Regularly observes, demonstrates and coaches teachers and librarians in the implementation of the library period and reading activities
- Supports and participates in Family & Community Engagement (F&CE) activities like literacy events, parent meetings and other community activities; also coordinates formation and training of Child Management Committees
- Regularly provides to the principal/headmaster an update on progress and coaches them on ways to support teachers and ensure longer term sustainability of literacy outcomes within the school
- Collects monitoring data (both regular and periodic, as required), ensuring high data quality
- Analyze school level data and information on a regular basis collected during regular school visit, identify corrective action to be taken and build it into school level planning
- Attend review meetings at block/district/state/national level, as required, and complete all programmatic and financial reports on a timely manner.
- Supports donor visits through project demonstration and presentation
- Document best practices and lessons learned and share with the Literacy Program team
- Report to the Literacy Program Operations Officer/Associate
- Participate in any other activities which may be required to be undertaken to fulfill the objectives of the organization
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor Degree in education / social sciences or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience, especially in development projects
- Teaching experience at primary level preferred
- Knowledge about education in general and language development/ literacy in particular
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player
- Basic project management and analytical skills
For more information, please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd