RFP for Artificial Intelligence and Potential Impacts on Human Rights in India
Apply By: 28 Jun 2021
Request for Proposal for Artificial Intelligence and Potential Impacts on Human Rights in India
About the Organization:
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations' global development network. They advocate for change and connect countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for them. They provide expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. They promote technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Brief Description of the Required Services:
The field of Artificial Intelligence has witnessed rapid evolution over the last few decades. AI technologies have also been widely and rapidly deployed during the ongoing pandemic to scale health response worldwide, with concerns regarding its efficacy and potential negative impact remaining unaddressed and unexplored.
While AI has the potential to transform the future of humanity for the better and in favour of sustainable development, there is also a prevailing awareness of the risks and challenges associated with use of AI by businesses, especially in terms of deepening existing inequalities and divides. There are other human rights implications as well including the impact on privacy, livelihoods and access to essential services.
Expected Outputs to be Delivered:
Given the increasing use and influence of AI technology by businesses across sectors (including health, retail, banking etc.) in India and globally, the purpose of the study is to undertake a thorough review of impact of use of AI technologies across two business sectors on human rights of individual and communities. The study is will broadly support the following two outputs:
- An assessment of the key human rights at the risk in the Indian context, of being negatively impacted by use of AI technologies in business operations across the two sectors and
- Outlining of proposed solutions for businesses and government to mitigate and address these violations
Criteria for Essential Eligibility/Qualification:
- The Service Provider must have at least 7 years’ experience of demonstrable work and understanding of digital technologies (preferably AI) and related policy frameworks, human rights and role/responsibilities of businesses/private sector on the subject;
- Service Provider should have successfully completed/running atleast 5 research assignments on the intersection of tech policy and digital technologies.
Specific Tasks for the Research Service Provider/Organization:
- Identification of two industry sectors in India for undertaking the study (tentative list of 2 sectors may be submitted by Service Provider as part of technical proposal). Final list of sectors will be finalized in in consultation with UNDP.
- Develop research plan including timeline, stakeholders and methodology (outline to be provided as part of technical proposal).
- Develop detailed synopsis of research with key messages of initial findings.
- Conduct desk and primary research [stakeholder interviews (atleast 10 for each sector) and consultations (atleast 3 for each sector)] in support of findings.
- Research the implications of the Covid-19 pandemic, if any, on exacerbated human rights risks with use of AI.
- Present research findings as an issue brief (including toolkit) and slide decks format egree of Expertise and Qualifications
Required Skills and Experience:
The organisation/Service Provider should the following expertise and qualifications:
- The Service Provider must have at least 7 years’ experience of demonstrable work and understanding of digital technologies (preferably AI) and relate policy frameworks, human rights and role/responsibilities of businesses/private sector on the subject;
- Experience in research, data collection, analysis and report writing.
- Demonstrable record of having undertaken similar assignments. Experience in working with CSOs, NGOs, INGOs, UN and other international development agencies is an advantage.
Skills and knowledge:
- Exemplary knowledge and understanding of digital technologies (preferably artificial intelligence), business and human rights discourse in India.
- Understanding of artificial intelligence sector landscape and actors.
- Proven ability to produce advocacy and policy-based analytical reports and frameworks of high quality in English
- Professional approach to time, costs and deadlines
- Demonstrated accuracy and attention to details
- Essential qualification for team members
- Team Leader - Advanced university degree (Masters) in law/human rights/development studies/social sciences or any other related field with atleast10 years work experience in the tech policy and human rights agenda for India
- Team members (at-least 2) - university degree (Bachelors) in law/human rights/development studies/social sciences or any other related field with atleast 5 years work experience in the development sector esp. engagement in tech policy and human rights agenda for India
- CVs of all implementation team members (at-least 3 members) along with organization profile to be submitted.
For more information please check the Link
Latest Online Store
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd